Taiwan and the “One China” Pledge

Hello!

To compliment this week’s discussion on Taiwan and next week’s discussion on China, I found an article about “One China” agreements between Taiwanese and Chinese universities. Due to various factors that we’ve discussed in class, such as aging populations and low birth rates, universities are relying on international students to stay open. Chinese students have been allowed to study in Taiwan since 2011, and now make up more than a third of Taiwan’s international college students. In order for many Chinese Universities to allow their students to study in Taiwan, Taiwanese universities have made agreements with the Chinese universities to not offer courses that include politically sensitive topics, such as “one China, one Taiwan” or Taiwanese independence.

What are the pros and cons of a policy like this?

Are there comparable policies between other countries’ universities?

Will these “One China” agreements really prevent Chinese students from being exposed to politically sensitive topics while studying in Taiwan?

China Vs. Taiwan’s Academic Freedom

http://thediplomat.com/2017/03/china-vs-taiwans-academic-freedom/

4 thoughts on “Taiwan and the “One China” Pledge

1. I agree with Chaoyi. Politics and HE can not really separate itself from each other. Especially in this case, China is always strong with its politic pursue and in favor of “spill-over”effect a lot. To answer your questions, I think for Chinese government, making sure “one China”policy is the urge of the university is the trust base of doing exchange program with University in Taiwan. As a highly centralized government, they do not want other voice educating their young generation in different direction they wish.I think it is hard to find comparable policies between university because China and Taiwan are severe case. I actually wonder what North Korea and South Korea’s relationship regard of student exchange.

2. Thanks for sharing Kendall! I think the One China policy can work – I am assuming there will be consequences on Taiwan if they deviate from the policy so it is unlikely this will happen – such control on curriculum are common in South Asia. The disadvantage is that students may not learn to analyze critically, but if the quality of syllabus is high in other courses (which is not the case in South Asia) then Taiwan can make this work in its favor.

3. Thanks Kendall for picking up this interesting article. I think it reflects the relationship between higher education and the political system. Is HE really independent? As long as the university is built within a country, it is difficult to be truly independent of politics. We can see how Trump’s travel ban policies influence HE independence in the U.S. In the political level, “One China” is the bottom line of China’s policy towards Taiwan. It is sensitive and sometimes emotional, not academic. That’s why we avoid to talk about it and say to maintain the status quo. But I think this is just a public statement to avoid the political pressure. According to my students’ experience in Taiwan, it is unavoidable to discuss this issue privately. They think that it is a great opportunity to know the attitude of Taiwan students. In my opinion, it would be more helpful if such discussion can be led by professors.

4. Thanks for sharing the article Kendall!

For one, this policy would probably affect the international credibility of the universities for those who place a strong emphasis on “academic freedom” – but to be honest I’m not sure to what extent this would influence the decision of students and academics, local and foreign to go to the university – to what extent does “academic freedom” factor into these decisions, and also that such classes would still be available to non-Chinese students (I’m not clear about the details, but the article says that politically sensitive material would only be excluded from classes offered to Chinese students?).

It would also be interesting to know what Chinese students think of this ban, though. I guess for me personally, as a foreign student, I would in fact be rather interested to attend classes that critique my country, its policies, its cross-border relations etc., even if I do agree with these criticisms or less positive perspectives.

For me, this article also made me think in a different context, of the important broader question of how certain issues and topics are barred (either formally or informally discouraged) from being discussed (not just in schools but also society in general) for being “too sensitive” and “triggering” i.e. safe spaces etc.