Chimamanda’s Danger of a Single Story

“When we reject the single story. When we realize that there is never a single story about any place. We regain a kind of paradise.”                  – Chimananda Ngozi Adichie

This is the last phrase of Chimamanda Adichie’s excellent TED talk about the danger of a single story. Although the TED talk was given in 2009, its message, specially about immigrants, is stronger today.  Chimamanda, a Nigerian author, encourages us to avoid single stories (having one single perspective or narrative of a person, community or country) and learn about our peers thoroughly and holistically. She grew up near higher education institutions because her parents were faculty at the University of Nigeria in Nsukka, and continued to be close to universities throughout her education. She began her undergrad in Drexel University, then transferred to Eastern Connecticut State University. She did her master’s degree at John Hopkins University, followed by a second masters from Yale University. Additionally, she was awarded fellowships from both Princeton and Harvard Universities.

Higher education is present in her novels as well. Her characters range from academics in the heart of planning revolutions, to Nigerian immigrants facing the challenges of American higher education, both as students and as immigrants. Through her storytelling, the readers are given another perspective of what it means to study in the United States and what international students face when entering a new academic system while getting used to a different culture. In between lines, she highlights the importance of diversity in universities and how international students enhance the educational experience.

Universities are spaces where the danger of a single story can be eliminated. As Chimamanda’s experience meeting her undergrad roommate who had a single story about Africans, cultural and friendship exchanges can help bridge cultural perceptions and share knowledge.  After reading her novels, being an international student myself and coming from a Mexican University with only 5% international students, I question: How can diversity of students and nationalities be encouraged in universities? What type of activities can students and faculty do to avoid the danger of a single story? What are other advantages of having international students in higher education institutions?

Here is the link to the TED talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story

Novels by Chimamanda N. Adichie:

Half of a Yellow Sun, Purple Hibiscus, Americanah

3 thoughts on “Chimamanda’s Danger of a Single Story

1. I have watched this in my undergraduate class. I was majoring advertising of the school of communication. This video was shared from a writing class for PR practice. I found it extremely powerful since the first time i saw it. The professor was trying to tell us as a media person, realizing the danger of single story is extremely important for our careers.Because PR and media person are seen as the communication channel for many other people.
    “The problem single story created was not they are untrue, but incomplete.”
    I think we will can also ask how reading as one way to eliminate single story from our previous perception of things and places. Reading can be one useful tool of high education to educate young man and woman to know a difference world.

• Great post Angelica, thanks!
      I love Chimamanda’s books and I totally agree with you, International Universities are spaces to achieve openness and diversity, and therefore eliminate single story.
      Coming from Chile, a country pretty isolated, and having studied at the most “international” university of Chile, Universidad Católica de Chile (with only 5% international students), I know by experience that single stories can definitely be eliminated when living abroad or studying at an International University such as Columbia.