Rite of Spring – Stravinsky

Having never been familiar with ballet in any form, I can’t say whether this is truly an odd piece or if it’s just me. The very introduction is oddly dissonant, but in a very intriguing way that captured my attention. It didn’t appear to me that there was an organization to it at first, but when the dancers appeared on stage I could see how it complemented the choreography.

The relationship between the composition and the choreography was unique. One helped understand the other, but they were still different and no clear, lasting relationship really develops. When the curtain rises, the dancers seem to begin with a very concrete representation of the music being played, and the music is almost acting as sound effects to what the dancers do. When continuous music plays they walk, a sudden crescendo and they jump, they coordinate their hand gestures to the music, etc. However, this does not occur forever, and at around 5:08 we see an example where the music does not convey what happens on stage: a few jumps that aren’t accompanied by music. Another example is the whole section around 7:30 where the music seems to play in an oscillating scale that does not match the choreography of the groups on stage.

After that first analysis I was very put off by how the two appeared to be related only periodically. This was until I arrived at 14:08 and realized that it merely transitions from congruent to similar. In this section everyone on stage is moving randomly and clearly off beat, but the music being played is one that transmits the same energy of chaos and entropy. Which brings me back to my first statement: the music itself exhibits feelings to the audience that relate to the choreography, and the choreography is performing actions that match the mood of the music, while each of them individually just does their own thing. Pretty cool if you ask me.