Note on CU Schools

Note on Columbia’s Professional Schools

Year

School

Location

 

1766

Medical School opened In Main College Building  

1813

Medical School closed    

1857

Law School opened Downtown by the courts; to 49th St. in 1882; then MSide  

1864

School of Mines/by 1890s, the Engineering School Adjacent to College campus at 50th st.; then MSide  

1881

[Graduate] School of Political Science Main campus  

School of Library Science Main campus; closed in 19xx  

1891

College of Physicians & Surgeons 10th Avenue and 59th; to Washington Heights in 1928  

1891

[Graduate] School of Philosophy Main campus  

1892

School of Nursing Uptown  

1892

[Graduate] School of Pure Science Main campus  

1903

School of Architecture Avery Hall, on MSide campus  

1912

Journalism School M/Side campus  

1916

Columbia Business School Main campus  

1916

School of Dentistry Uptown  

1922

School of Public Health Uptown  

1946

School of International Affairs Amsterdam Avenue  

1948

School of the Arts    

1963

School of Social Work Amsterdam Avenue  

     

     

 

 

Note on Columbia Affiliated Schools
[with their own trustees, financial responsibilities]

Year      
  Teachers College    
1900 Barnard College    
  Union Theological Seminary    
  Jewish Theological Seminary    

Last updated: February 8, 2014
ram31@columbia.edu

Leave a Reply